How to strengthen your pelvic floor… and why you’ll want to
What actually is the pelvic floor?
- Incontinence (bladder or bowel)
- Increased frequency of urination
- Uncontrollable breaking of wind
- Swelling or heaviness in the vaginal area
- Increasing age
- Chronic cough
- Chronic constipation
Exercise time! Ok so for those of you that are used to sweating it out at the gym or crunching those abs at pilates, this is going to seem as boring. But small, simple exercises are what will strengthen your pelvic floor. So this is how we do it… start in a sitting position, no one will even know you are doing it. I’m currently doing it as I sit in my local cafe writing this!
- Warm-up: slowly squeeze up and in around your vagina and release slow and gently. Imagine squeezing a tampon that’s inside you. Repeat 4-5 times.
- Holds: Now do 10 x 5 seconds holds (rest between)
- Quick flicks: squeeze up and in quickly and strongly x 10 (this is needed to be trained for when we cough and sneeze to prevent any whoopsies)
HOT TIP: Choose a recurring event like your phone ringing or getting a DM as a reminder to do your exercises.
Written by Shannan Ballin, The Feel Good Physio
Shannan has been a Physiotherapist for over 14 years. She is the mum of 3 beautiful young children with a very active family life. She is a lover of coffee, cocktails, and sport. Having lived in Sydney for a number of years, she has now returned to her home town of Brisbane and is practising as a physiotherapist out of Family Doctors Plus in Windsor, Brisbane.
How to motivate yourself to workout
If you’re anything like us you’ve found yourself googling “how to motivate yourself to workout” trying to get your fitness mojo back on track.Read More
Meet the team — Georgie
Meet our design-extraordinaire Georgie! Originally hailing from Melbourne we're sharing all our Queensland sunshine with her.Read More
How much bigger to buy tights when pregnant?
With all the changes your body goes through when pregnant it can be confusing to know what maternity size to buy — here are our handy hints!Read More